L.A. Face with the Auckland Booty
November 13, 2015
We’ve been in Auckland, NZ (New Zeal) for about two weeks now and so far it’s been lovely. Since we are living here for the month we’ve been trying to pace ourselves a bit more plus John has been working lots (lame). We have some highlights and first impressions to share.
- Waterfront! Auckland has a scenic waterfront with amazing views of the islands nearby. The harbour is super active as it has lots of touristy boats to the islands and ferries for the workin’ man.
- Moozaack. John and I went to a hilarious punk/rock music show featuring “The Raw Nerves”, “The Conjurors”, and “Big Tipper”… and they were all basically “Rod Torfulson’s Armada“.
- John sez: if you are in Auckland check out Whammy Bar – it’s just the right amount of dirty.
- Hella Trees. Much park everywhere.
- Beer! Fun fact it does not come in pints here. Most places don’t serve anything as big as a pint just a glass of beer around 350mL.
- John sez: Panhead Custom Ales FTW!
However, we found this cute craft brewery near our place called Brother’s Beer. It was basically like walking into your grandma’s basement with old furniture from the 60’s and 70’s, toys everywhere, and the walls were papered with newspaper comics.
A smaller glass size just meant I could try more beer flavours, and boy they had a lot. They also serve “toasties”, which is a grilled sandwich made in one of those presses every first year student owned as their primary kitchen appliance. We chose spaghetti filling! If you didn’t think it before now you know we’re living the dream.
- The view/our apartment. We have a sweet teeny tiny apartment right downtown. It’s our first Airbnb experience and I think the bar is set pretty high. The place came stocked with some basic groceries and other necessities so we could start cooking for ourselves again. Our host greeted us and gave us lots of little tips on fun places to see around the city and the best places to get groceries. Oh and the apartment came with a lil’ espresso machine soooo I may never leave.
- Food. Auckland has a really large Asian and Middle Eastern population, which means tasty tasty foods for us. So far we’ve had incredible Indian and Japanese food. Plus we’ve been taking advantage of the Asian markets who have funny snacks like seaweed flavoured potato chips and oh so many hot sauces. I can also get a pound of chicken skins if I want (Asian supermarkets are weird).
That’s it for ol’ Auckland so far. We have lots of stuff to look forward to in the next few weeks of our stay here including Hobbiton!, the zoo, an island nature reserve, driving on the left hand side?, and maybe more.
Stay tuned kids.